Cancer Pain Treatment in Pune
Pain is very distressful symptom in cancer patients. This pain can happen due to the tumour pressing on bones, nerves or other organs in your body. Sometimes pain is related to your cancer treatment.
Severity of cancer pain depends on
- Cancer type
- Location of tumour
- The stage of cancer
- Whether the cancer or treatment has damaged any nerves
- Other factors such as fear, anxiety, depression and a lack of sleep can also affect how you feel pain.
If the cancer pain is beyond particular level, you must see a pain specialist. Because, if you ignore this pain, it can lead to nerve changes that may make the pain harder to control in the future. Cancer pain management treatments also provide adequate pain relief so that cancer patient can live the last stages of their life comfortable & happily.
Causes of Cancer Pain:
Cancer pain can be due to tumour. Tumour puts pressure on bones, nerves or other organs in your body. Some cancer treatments and tests done at diagnostics center are also painful. Like some chemotherapy drugs can cause numbness and tingling in your hands and feet or a burning sensation at the place where they are injected. Radiotherapy can cause skin redness and irritation. Also there are some other type of pain that has nothing to do with cancer like headaches, muscle strains, and other aches and pains.
Cancer Pain Treatment
Now, with the advancements in medical science, it is possible to reduce pain caused due to any stage of cancer. For the management of cancer pain following treatment methods are used –
- Oral Medications: Your pain physician may prescribe you some oral medication to manage your cancer pain. This is most common treatment works for many people. You have to take medicine regularly to control your cancer pain.
Do not take any medicine by your own. You must talk with pain physician before you take these medicines, especially if you have a fever or have had kidney or liver disease, gastrointestinal bleeding, or a stomach ulcer.
Cancer pain management medicines include:
- Opiate pain relievers, such as fentanyl, hydromorphone, methadone, morphine, oxycodone, and tramadol.
- Other medicines that may be used with opiate pain relievers. These medicines may be given to help your pain medicine work better or to treat your symptoms. Or they may be given for certain types of pain. These include:
- Anticonvulsants, to help control nerve pain like burning and tingling.
- Antidepressants, to relieve pain and help you sleep.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs and corticosteroids (for example, prednisone or dexamethasone).
- Bisphosphonates, such as pamidronate and zoledronic acid, to treat bone pain.
- Local anesthetics, such as skin creams with capsaicin or lidocaine, to help relieve pain in the skin and surrounding tissues.
- Nerve Blocks: Nerve block is a procedure in which local anesthetic (a numbing drug),often combined with a steroid and injected into particular nerve or nerve group that is intended to reduce inflammation and relieve pain. After the injection, the nerve is no longer able to spread pain and hence pain is relieved for some time.
- Intrathecal Pump: In this type of treatment, medicines are injected into spinal cord, where pain signals travel. In this technique, a 1 inch thick and 3 inch wide pocket is made under the skin that’s large enough to hold a medicine pump. A catheter is also inserted to carry pain medicine from the pump to the intrathecal space around the spinal cord. The implants deliver medicines directly to the spinal cord, and pain is controlled.
- Radiofrequency ablation: In Radiofrequency ablation (or RFA), an electrical current produced by a radio wave is used to heat up a small area of nerve tissue, thereby decreasing pain signals from that specific area. It is suitable method for patients with chronic (long-lasting) cancer pain. It is very safe and effective way to treat some forms of pain.
These cancer pain management techniques are extremely beneficial. It also increases moral of patients for next treatments. The pain caused when cancer extends in to whole body can also be managed with above techniques.
Why choose Painex for your cancer pain management?
Painex Pain Management Clinic is the pioneer in providing non-surgical cancer pain management in Pune. We have team of highly experienced pain specialists who are expert in cancer pain management. Our goal is to create an effective pain control plan that works best for you.
At Painex, your doctor will find out more about cause of your pain. Based on the severity and location of pain a treatment plan is created for you. We use the latest and most advanced clinically-proven non-surgical pain management techniques like oral medications, Nerve blocks therapy, intrathecal pump implant and radiofrequency ablation to treat your pain.