Why is Knee Pain So Common?
The knee joint is a large hinge type of joint that consists of 3 bones, 3 joints, about 11 ligaments and 13 bursae. Thus, it is a complex joint. Also, due to standing, it has to bear almost the entire weight of the body. This is another price we humans have to pay for our erect posture. The weight borne by the knee increases manifold during running, jumping, etc. With age, the wearing of the articular cartilage causes friction and misalignment between the articular surfaces, leading to what we commonly know as osteoarthritis.
What Are the Causes of Knee Pain?
There may be several causes of knee pain. Some of the most common ones include:
- Knee osteoarthritis
- Ligament injury
- Myofascial pain
- Chondromalacia patellae
- Deformities of the knee (valgus/varus) leading to malalignment and secondary osteoarthritis
- Post-trauma osteoarthritis
How to Prevent Osteoarthritis / Knee Pain?
- Weight management: Being overweight/obese puts extra pressure on the already overburdened knee joint. Managing your weight and cutting down those extra pounds will definitely work wonders.
- Exercise: Regular exercise ensures the mobility and lubrication of the joint. However, caution must be exercised if you are overweight, as certain types of exercises like running, skipping, jumping, aerobics can damage your joint. In a damaged knee, exercises should be done only under expert supervision.
- Footwear: Even though this may seem like a minor point, proper footwear prevents or even reverses malalignment of the knee, acts as shock absorbers and prevents further damage to the joint.
- Avoidance of Squatting / Sitting Cross Legged: These postures further reduce the space in the knee joint leading to more friction. These postures should be consciously avoided.
Knee Pain Treatment in Pune
Following methods are used for the treatment of knee pain in non-surgical way:
- Weight management: Should be done only by expert advice by means of diet and exercise.
- Physiotherapy: This mainly focuses on quadriceps strengthening exercises.
- Pharmacotherapy: Medicines may be prescribed which will reduce the pain. If needed long-term, adverse effects must be kept in mind. Over-the-counter pain killers, which are medically known as NSAIDs or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs act beautifully to reduce inflammation and pain. However, on long-term use, they are a disaster for the kidney!
- Intra-articular Steroid Injections: Steroid injections into the knee joint reduce pain and inflammation. However, the benefit is short-term. On repeated injections, the knee joint cartilage may get damaged. Therefore, it is not advisable to take more than three injections per year.
- Genicular Nerve Block: Injection of local anaesthetic along with steroid is given to the nerves that carry pain sensations from the knee joint. The effect may be short-lived. After a diagnostic injection, depending on the pain relief, radio frequency ablation of the nerve can be done.
- Radio frequency Ablation of Genicular Nerves: This gives long term pain relief. In this technique, nerves carrying pain sensations are permanently blocked with radio frequency ablation.
About Painex Pain Management Clinic, Pune:
Painex Clinic has a team of the best doctors for knee pain in Pune. They are highly experienced pain specialists and use most advanced, 100% non-surgical interventional modalities or treatments for knee pain. Our doctors have completed intense training in the field of knee pain management and are one of the very few expert doctors for knee pain available in Pune.
Knee pain is one of the most common problems we come across at pain clinics.
Non-Surgical Options at Painex For Knee Pain Treatment:
- Genicular nerve block
- Genicular nerve radio frequency ablation
- Intra-articular steroid injection
- Ergonomic and lifestyle counselling
- Nutrition counselling for weight management
- Yoga therapy