Fibromyalgia is a condition that causes widespread musculoskeletal pain across the body along with symptoms like fatigue, lack of concentration, memory problems and headaches. It doesn’t cause any damage in the affected area. It is a neurological condition and doesn’t cause any damage to the areas where the pain is felt. However, it affects the way pain signals are processed by the brain.
Women are at higher risk of developing fibromyalgia than men.
The primary symptoms of fibromyalgia include:
- Widespread pain: fibromyalgia causes widespread pain on both sides of your body and above and below your waist, which is a constant dull ache that lasts for at least three months.
- Fatigue: People with fibromyalgia often feel tired, even after sleeping for a long time. They may also have other sleep disorders, such as restless legs syndrome and sleep apnea.
- Cognitive difficulties:People with fibromyalgia also face problem in paying attention and concentrate on mental tasks.
People with fibromyalgia may also have a problem of:
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Migraine and other types of headaches
- Interstitial cystitis or painful bladder syndrome
- Temporomandibular joint disorders
- Postural tachycardia syndrome
Causes of fibromyalgia:
There are likely many factors that can be responsible for fibromyalgia including:
- Genetics: If anyone in blood relation is having this disorder, you more susceptible to developing the disorder.
- Infections: Some illnesses appear to trigger or aggravate fibromyalgia.
- Physical or emotional events:It can be sometimes triggered by a physical event, such as a car accident. Prolonged psychological stress may also trigger the condition.
Treatment of fibromyalgia:
Fibromyalgia treatment can include both medication and self-care strategies. The focus is to minimize symptoms and improving general health. No single treatment works for all symptoms. Therefore a combination of treatments can be used.
Your pain specialist can recommend medications like pain relievers, antidepressants, and anti-seizure drugs to reduce the pain of fibromyalgia and improve sleep.
Therapies can help reduce the effect that fibromyalgia has on your body and your life:
- Physical therapy: A physical therapy that includes some exercises helps to improve your strength, flexibility and stamina. Water-based exercises might be particularly helpful.
- Occupational therapy: An occupational therapist can suggest adjustments that can be done while working or the way you perform certain tasks that can cause less stress on your body.
- Counselling: A counsellor can help you to increase your strength and teach you strategies for dealing with stressful situations.
Which is the best clinic for fibromyalgia treatment in Pune?
Painex Pain Management Clinic, Pune, is best clinic for fibromyalgia treatment in Pune. It is India’s most advanced pain management clinic and uses interventional techniques for treatment. The pain specialists at Painex are highly experienced and provide personalized care to your problem.