Why Does My back Hurt?
How Can I Manage My Back Pain at Home?
- Core strengthening: Contrary to popular belief, the core is not only the abdomen muscles. It involves back muscles as well. It is basically the central part of your body. Exercising regularly to maintain core strength is a great way to prevent back pain. A flat tummy is the added advantage!
- Maintaining mobility of the spine: Sedentary lifestyle leads to maintaining a fixed position of the back for prolonged periods. Also hamstrings and neck muscles go into spasm. All this leads to change in dynamics of spine motion, stiffness of the joints and muscles, ultimately aggravating back pain. Doing simple stretching and twisting movements every hour and getting up and walking about, along with forward and backward bending will take less than a minute of your time, but will go a long way in reducing stiffness.
- Never ever exercise without a proper warmup- I see several cases of gym injuries leading to back pain. The idea behind warm up is, prior to starting exercise, our muscles are idle, and have accumulated lot of water. Also the muscles and joints are stiff. If we start exercising directly, these muscles and joints are more prone for injury which could lead to complications. In case, there are injuries due to accidents, investigate this site and get the best lawyers on board!
- Lifting weights: avoid lifting weights more than 10% of your body weight if you already are suffering from back pain. Also if weight has to be lifted from the ground/from low height, always bend your knees and thrust your hips out while lifting. This off loads the back and you can prevent injuries.
- The ideal mattress should be firm. According to a Source, it is true that very soft mattresses can aggravate back pain, as the back doesn’t receive any support if the mattress is too soft. However, sleeping directly on the ground is also not advisable as the spine curvature cannot be maintained if mattress is too hard.
- Pain killers should be taken cautiously, as long term use of pain killers could lead to side effects on kidneys, blood clotting etc. Also the root cause of pain should be detected and tackled rather than just suppressing the symptoms.
- Obesity and back pain: increased weight leads to pressure on the spine and aggravates back pain. Losing just 10% of your body weight will help reduce back pain drastically. However, crash diets or vigorous exercises are not recommended. Weight loss should be gradual and healthy.
- Pregnancy and back pain: This is a very common problem, back pain during and after pregnancy, after Caesarean section, and it is a huge topic on its own.
Non Surgical Back Pain Treatment in Pune (at Painex Pain Management Clinic)
- Medication: your doctor will prescribe medicines that relieve pain by relieving inflammation and relaxing the muscles. Also medicines that help in reducing nerve irritation may be prescribed. Over the counter pain killers should be avoided for more than 2 weeks at a stretch.
- Epidural injections: For “slipped disc “ your doctor may advise an epidural injection.
- Radio frequency ablation: For pain related to the joints between the vertebrae, a technique called radio frequency ablation helps in reducing transmission of pain signals
- Root Blocks: If nerves are getting irritated/ compressed by the prolapsed disc, an injection at the root of the nerve helps in reducing the pain.
- Intramuscular Stimulation (IMS)/ Dry needling: For chronic back muscle stiffness/spasm mechanical stimulation of back muscles to release the spasm works wonders in relieving the pain.
Back pain is not a normal accompaniment of the ageing process. Having a healthy and pain free back is your right!
For your Back Pain Treatment, Please consult with our Back Pain Specialist Doctors today. Click here to Book an Appointment. Or you can directly call us: 083904 42266.