Check Out Video On "5 Tips to Relieve Migraine or Severe Headache" By Dr Nivedita Page (MBBS, MD, FIPM(Australia), FIAPM)
What is Migraine or Severe Headache?
Migraine is a disorder of episodic headaches, with or without associated symptoms (aura)
How Common is This Disorder?
About 12 to 15% of the population will be affected by this disorder at least once in their lifetime. It is one of the most common diagnoses amongst people with headaches.
Few Facts about Migraine:
- This disorder is genetic, i.e. it runs in your family. Patients with migraine have at least one other family member with similar symptoms
- The bad news is that this disorder is not curable since it is your genetic tendency. However, the good news is that it is treatable!
- Simple lifestyle modifications and basic medication can make your life comfortable
- This is not a life-threatening disease. It does not worsen with age or culminate into some other dangerous disorder
Symptoms of Migraine Or Severe Headache ?
- Headache is quite disabling. It is usually moderate to severe in intensity. It may be –
- Usually unilateral
- Aggravated on movement like bending forward, jerking
- Usually lasts between 15 mins to 2 hours. However there have been reports of headaches lasting for up to 24hours and sometimes even days together.
- Other symptoms, which are common but not always present include:
- Nausea and rarely vomiting
- Increased sensitivity to light and sound. Normal light seems too bright. Photophobia may be present in extreme cases. Normal conversation may seem too loud. It may be impossible to converse over phone. Even insignificant sounds like ticking of the clock or chirping of birds outside may be irritating. Some patients may have so much of heightened sensitivity that they prefer to lie down alone in a quiet, dark room to avoid precipitation of a headache
- A few triggers have been identified, in response to which headaches are commonly precipitated. These include:
- Oversleeping / Sleep deprivation
- Skipping meals
- Traveling / Change of environment
- These triggers may be different in different individuals. However, the common factor is change. These individuals are less tolerant to change of any kind.
Migraine Treatment Options:
- Lifestyle Modification: As stated earlier, these individuals are less tolerant to change. Thus, developing a regularity in day to day activities ie a daily routine is key to successful management.
- Healthy diet
- Regular exercise
- Avoidance of caffeine, alcohol, smoking
- Maintenance of a “Headache Diary”
- Identification of stressors and consciously avoiding them as far as possible
- Preventive Treatment: As the name suggests, preventive treatment is given in order to prevent further attacks of migraine.
- This should be started very cautiously, bearing in mind the chronicity of the disease and adverse effects of long term medication.
- Preventive treatment is not considered if one is having less than 2 attacks per month. May be considered in patients having 3 to 5 attacks in a month. It is indicated if one suffers more than 5 attacks per month or has an increasing frequency of attacks.
- Treatment of Acute Attacks:
- Acute attacks usually respond well to paracetamol and even better to NSAIDs like Ibuprofen which are readily available over the counter. One must bear in mind that treatment is best initiated at the first hint of a headache rather than waiting for it to worsen until it is unbearable. It then becomes difficult to manage.
- Specific drugs are available, which are very effective. However these drugs should be taken only on advice of your pain physician as they have adverse effects and interactions with few common medications.
- Interventional Pain Management for Migraine: Interventional techniques are not commonly used, however few modalities like Occipital nerve block, Sphenopalatine ganglion blockade, trigger point injections are used in exceptional cases.
100% Non-Surgical Migraine Treatment at Painex Pune:
- OPD Consultation and Pharmacotherapy (Pain Medication)
- Dietary and Lifestyle Modification Advice
- Non-Surgical Daycare Procedures or Interventional Techniques like Occipital Nerve Block, Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block, Trigger Point Injections & Many More Treatment Options.
Migraine is a chronic pain disorder. Although not completely curable, it is definitely treatable and manageable. Book an appointment with Migraine Specialist Doctors In Pune at Painex today and take the next step towards a Migraine-Free life!.
Why Choose Painex ?
- 21000+ Happy Patients.
- Treated more than 5000 Patients suffering from Migraine
- Super Specialist Pain Doctors
- 25+ Years of Experience in the field of Pain Management
- 100% Non-Surgical (Minimally Invasive), Most-Advanced & Multi-Disciplinary Treatment Options
RENSPER MECHEK SAMPAR
I am suffering migraine from my age of 15 now I am 36 . whenever i got headache i use migran tablet , when become too much of pain i vomit too, please help me.
Thank you for contacting Painex Pain Clinic.
We would definitely help you. Please request you to share your number or contact us on 8390442266 and take our pain doctors appointment. Thank you.
I have migraine issue for the last 4 years. I am taking medicines for my depression (triggered due to migraine). i have visited multiple doctors but no help. can you help me ?
Thank you for reaching out to us for your Migraine issue. We can definitely help you to get rid of your Migraine. Please request you to visit us or book an appointment with our specialist doctors so that we can assess you physically and then provide best possible plan. Thank you.
i am interested in Occipital Nerve Block. What is the cost involved ? is it covered in the insurance ?. Also, is it a daycare procedure ? Please revert.
Thank you for reaching out to us for your Migraine issue. We would like to asses you first and see if Occipital Nerve Block is the correct solution or not. Once finalised, We will let you know the costing. Yes, procedures are covered under insurance and they are daycare procedure. Please request you to book an appointment with our Pain Expert so that we can explain everything in detail.
Hi, i have neck pain & Shoulder pain with occasional migraine attacks. Do you have treatment for the same ?
I have been advised “Occipital Nerve Block,” What is the cost and is it daycare procedure? is it also covered under insurance?
hello, i suffer from migraine (severe attacks once a week). i am really depressed and desperate to get rid of it. i have question regarding nerve blcocks you mentioned. Do you give them in the head? is it done in the OT ? covered under insurance (cashless)? Please respond at the earliest. I tried calling you Sunday but no answer.
i suffer from headache (on a regular basis). How do i know whether it’s a migraine or not ? Please advise.
Greetings to you
I have serious migraine issues from my childhood since the age of 9-10 yrs now i am 24 and whenever the migraine starts i just have to take pain killer pill or injection which is not good in this early age can you guy please help me
Painex Pain Management Clinic (Admin)
Hello. Thank you for your message. We are glad to inform you that we do have best possible and most-advanced treatments available for migraine. Please take an appointment with our pain specialists so that they can guide you further. Please call or whatsapp on 8390442266 or share your number. Thanks.